Recording sound comes naturally to Japanese audio explorer Toshiya Tsunoda, capturing and cataloging the audio world he encountered since childhood; in the 90s he set out to observe vibrations from optimum perspectives, using small and contact microphones, and compiling 3 albums of Field Recording Archives, collected here with 2 CDs of previously unpublished recordings.
Out of Stock
Shipping Weight: 18.00 units
Quantity in Basket: None
Log In to use our Wish List
Includes a 44 page book with notes from Tsunoda and discographic information.
Catalog ID: ErstPast 001-5
Squidco Product Code: 27167
Format: 4 CDs
Packaging: Box Set - 5 CDs + Booklet
Recorded from 1993 - 2018, by Toshiya Tsunoda. Extract From Field Recording Archive #1 originally issued in 1997 on CD on the WrK, WrK label as WrK008cd. Extract From Field Recording Archive #2: The Air Vibration Inside A Hollow originally issued in 1999 on the Häpna label as H.01. Extract From Field Recording Archive #3: Solid Vibration originally issued in 2001 on the Infringitive label as infr01.
Toshiya Tsunoda-recording, editing
Click an artist name above to see in-stock items for that artist.
Highlight an instrument above
and click here to Search for albums with that instrument.
• Show Bio for Toshiya Tsunoda
"Toshiya Tsunoda (Kanagawa, 1964) is a sound creator known for works of field recording and collage. He studied oil painting at Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music, where he received his MFA. Aside from his work as a sound creator, he is also known for his wide-ranging activities as an installation artist and performer. By using small or contact microphones to produce his field recordings, Tsunoda's sound works capture the acoustic characteristics of spaces with dazzling clarity. These works show the ways in which particular vibrational phenomena shape the subjective experience of time and space. His exhibitions include "Soundings: A Contemporary Score" with Luke Fowler, MoMA, New York (2013), "Simple Interactions Sound Art from Japan," Museet For Samtids Kunst, Denmark (2011), Yokohama Triennale with Luke Fowler, Yokohama (2008) and "Half Life," Kilmartin Glen, Argyll, Scotland (2007). Tsunoda has also performed at Inverleith House, Edinburgh (2012) and Stuk Arts Centre, Leuven, Belgium (2010)."-Toshiya Tsunoda Website (http://toshiya-tsunoda.blogspot.com/)
Have a better biography or biography source? Please Contact Us so that we can update this biography.
^ Hide Bio for Toshiya Tsunoda
1. Solid Vibration from the Concrete Pavement of a Wharf Where the Fish Market Used to Be Held 11:34
2. Solid Vibration of a Glass Bottle in a Ship Anchorage 8:06
3. Air Vibration of the Hollow Part in the Middle of a Buoy Used for Large Ships 10:58
4. Air Vibration in a Bent Pipe 5:30
5. Solid Vibration of a Steel Plate in a Loading Area 6:42
6. Solid Vibration of a Support Pillar for the External Unit of a Large Refrigerator 6:50
7. Solid Vibration of the Surface of Small Breakwater 11:07
8. Air Vibration of an Elevator Motor Room in Stairwell 13:49
1. Bottle at mountain road 16:58
2. Bottle at park 4:53
3. Tub-type container 5:29
4. Drain hoses 11:18
5. Connecting duct 14:42
6. Downpipe for rainwater 7:49
7. Plastic float 7:18
8. Cavity in a cliff wall 5:00
1. Metal Plate Fence 10:25
2. Wire Net Fence Inside a Tunnel 5:57
3. Wharf, Electric Driver 1:58
4. Wharf, Two Ships 8:02
5. Asphalt Road Surface 7:59
6. Metal Door 3:04
7. Scrap 5:02
8. Gas Cylinder, Windy Day (Take 1 and 2) (Take 1 and 2) 12:11
9. Drum 14:00
1.Vibration from a water suction pump - Solid vibration 6:31
2. Gap between ship and pier - Air vibration 1:31
3. A simple fence, inside the iron pipe - Air vibration 4:25
4. Solid vibration, location unknown 9:52
5. Akebono Kikai Company - Air vibration 2:51
6. Inside a tower silo, short interruption - Air vibration 5:34
7. Surface of an external wall of the warehouse - Solid vibration 2:15
8. Solid vibration, location unknown 2:28
9. Running fence - Solid vibration 25:12
10. A pipe on the roadside - Air vibration 4:50
1. Vibration of the mooring rope of a fishing boat at anchor 9:36
2. Vibration through long and thick rope at seashore 5:54
3. Inside of a pipe at the seashore 3:51
4. A pipe and the water flow 2:30
5. Clapping echoing inside a pipe 1:41
6. A bottle at the breakwater #1 4:41
7. A bottle at the breakwater #2 2:54
8. Solid vibration from the concrete pavement of a pier where the fish market used to be held 5:47
9. Mooring line and road surface 9:34
10. Inside the former fish market 11:40
11. Solid vibration on the road surface near the exteriorwall of the ice-making facility 2:00
12. Solid vibration on the road surface near the exterior wall of the ice-making facility #2 0:32
13. On the edge of the shore 10:00
sample the album:
"Toshiya Tsunoda is a Japanese sound artist whose quarter century of exploration into field recording has been a huge influence on many other great artists working in similar territory. His archival series of three themed sets of field recording studies, released on three different labels from 1997 to 2001, 'Extract From Field Recording Archive #1-#3", lay the groundwork for so much of what followed, both from Tsunoda and many others.
All the sounds in the original three releases (#1-#3) were physical vibrations recorded in outdoor and indoor environments from 1993 to 1999, in the port service area in the Miura Peninsula where he was born and grew up, as well as at the neighbor ports.
Also, CD 1-3 are not identical to the originally issued ones. Now all the tracks have exactly the same durations as Tsunoda's original DAT recordings. All the tracks were remastered from these original DAT recordings for this box set. Thus, the duration of each track and each CD are different from the previously released ones. Also, the track lists on Extract #2 (CD 2) and Extract #3 (CD 3) are slightly modified from the original releases, as detailed in the booklet.
In addition to those three, for this reissue box Tsunoda compiled two new albums. CD 4, 'Extract From Field Recording Archive #4', contains his previously unpublished recordings of the Nagaura Port from the same period as #1-#3, and CD 5, 'Reflection-Revisiting', contains more recent recordings from 2007-2018, in which he revisited some of the original port areas, looking for a certain continuity between his ideas in the past and the present, while also discovering the differences between the two periods.
"My purpose for these recordings in the nineties was to observe vibrations, and at the same time to find the observation point for each recording. For some very subtle, inaudible vibrations, a special method of observation such as installing a contact microphone inside a bottle or a particular observation point is required. It can be said that the object of the vibration and the act of observation are inseparable. I think that it is not really 'detection' or 'documenting', but is more likely closer to 'depiction'. The word 'depiction' has a nuance of both watching and portraying an object simultaneously."
"By using small microphones and contact microphones, I tried to detect vibrations that were integrated with the presence of the place, like the vague images existing in the lowest layer of our perception. The space that could be observed in this way was quite different from how we perceive the actual place as a space." (from liner notes by Toshiya Tsunoda)
The extensive liner notes were newly written by Toshiya Tsunoda for this box set."-erstwhile records
Includes a 44 page book with notes from Tsunoda and discographic information.
Solo Artist Recordings
Sound, Noise, &c.
New in Experimental & Electronic Music
Recent Releases and Best Sellers
Staff Picks & Recommended Items
Search for other titles on the erstwhile label.