Relative Pitch Records debuts with the excellent duo of bassist Joelle Leandre and Bay Area woodwind improviser Phil Greenlief in 11 variations for contrabass and woodwinds.
Leandre, Joelle / Phillip Greenlief
That Overt Desire of Object
Label: Relative Pitch
Released in: USA
Relative Pitch Records debuts with the excellent duo of bassist Joelle Leandre and Bay Area woodwind improviser Phil Greenlief in 11 variations for contrabass and woodwinds. With the addition of their own voices adding unusual punctuation, the Suite progresses through a series of melodic, technical, and curious passages, with Greenlief switching between clarinet, soprano sax, and tenor saxophone. The recording are excellent, from two studio sessions, and the interplay and dialog is simply excellent. A great start to a new label, and an oustanding release from two uncompromising and fascinating artists!
At The Squid's Ear!
Related Categories of Interest:
West Coast/Pacific US Jazz
Staff Picks & Recommended Items
Search for other titles on the Relative Pitch label.
Other Recommended Releases:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought:
Out of Stock
Shipping Weight: 3.00 units
Quantity in Basket: None
Label: Relative Pitch
Catalog ID: RPR-1002
Squidco Product Code: 14578
Cuts 1-10 recorded by Oliver DiCiccio at Mobius, SF. Cuts 11 & 12 recorded by Karen Stackpole at Evander Music Presents, 21 Grand, Oakland.
Joelle Leandre-contrabass, voice
Phillip Greenlief-woodwinds, voice
Highlight an artist name or instrument above
and click here to Search
1. 1st Variation For Clarinet And Contrabass 2:54
2. 2nd Variation For Clarinet And Contrabass 1:27
3. 3rd Variation For Clarinet And Contrabass 3:21
4. 1st Variation For Soprano Saxophone And Contrabass 3:22
5. 2nd Variation For Soprano Saxophone And Contrabass 4:10
6. 1st Variation For Alto Saxophone And Contrabasee 2:06
7. 2nd Variation For Alto Saxophone And Contrabasee 3:21
8. 1st Variation For Tenor Saxophone And Contrabass 4:28
9. 2nd Variation For Tenor Saxophone And Contrabass 3:53
10. 1st Variation For Soprano Saxophone And Voice 12:04
11. 1st Variation For Contrabass And Voice 11:00